What is consciousness is the biggest question of humankind and one that thinkers and philosophers from the time of Descartes and Locke all the way to our modern neuroscientists have pondered passionately without having the full answer. We are still dealing with the mystery of consciousness and some hope that the mystery will never be solved. However major progress is being made both experimentally and theoretically in unraveling this mysterious phenomenon we call consciousness. What does consciousness mean to you?
Here are a few definitions to consider:
- Consciousness is our individual awareness or perception of our unique thoughts, memories, feelings, reflections, sensations, and environment.
- Consciousness is the state of being awake to or aware of anything at a given moment.
- “Being aware of oneself, ones reality and ones impact in the world while acting responsibly in the light of that Consciousness.” ~ John Renesh
- Consciousness is our true nature, true power.
- Consciousness is love.
- Consciousness is presence.
- “The biggest hurdle to define Consciousness is the word itself. A noun is inappropriate. Consciousness does not exist as a thing. It is not a thing to be known but KNOWING itself.” ~Peter Russell
This is a question that philosophers and scientists have puzzled over since there have been philosophers and scientists. Here are a few definitions:
- To be conscious means to be awake, aware and mindful.
- To be conscious means to be awake to what you have been unconscious about.
- To be conscious is to allow our divine nature to flow through us freely.
- To be conscious means to know thyself.
- A Conscious Leader is someone who leads with conscious awareness.
- A Conscious Leader is someone who understands the impact that his/her actions have on all their stakeholders; their employees, customers, vendors, investors, owners, and their communities.
- A Conscious Leader is someone who has the true intention of leading with the highest interest of all related parties in mind.
- A Conscious leader is someone who inspires and empowers collaboration and team-work and encourages people to use their gifts and talents to strengthen the whole.
- A Conscious Leader is someone who is committed to learning, personal growth and transformation.
- A Conscious Leader is someone who has an awareness of the higher purpose of his organization and higher purpose of life.
- A Conscious Leader is someone who is fully aware to all aspects of life as an integrated human being; physically, emotionally, intellectually and spiritually.
- Conscious Leaders want to lead from both their hearts and minds. They are inspired by higher purpose and empowered by being of service. They want to have the greatest positive impact on society and the world they live in. Their legacy will be as the pioneers in this new revolution of being a Conscious Leader, cultivating conscious company culture and conscious businesses through their Conscious Leadership. They understand the inter-dependence of all things. They have a strong desire for a deeper connection to themselves, their families and friends, their colleagues, their communities, and the environment. They want to raise the bar and do so with other like-minded business people. They want to live and model Conscious Leadership in action.
- Conscious Leadership is leadership that focuses on higher meaning, authenticity and creating a better future for all stakeholders, including the planet.
- Conscious Leadership is about influencing others and inspiring creativity and innovation through team-work and collaboration.
- Conscious Leadership is a process of inspiring and engaging others to move in the direction of higher purpose.
- Conscious Leadership is leadership that focuses on serving and maximizing stakeholders’ value.
- Conscious Leadership honors respect, integrity and transparency.
- Conscious Leadership is congruous with Servant Leadership where the leader makes a conscious choice to first and foremost be a servant to the higher purpose of the business and stakeholders system.
Conscious Business is a business based on four primary principles:
- Higher purpose beyond maximizing profits and shareholders value.
- Stakeholders orientation to optimize value and create win/win situations for everyone in the interdependent living system.
- Conscious company culture where the palpable vitality, loyalty and engagement of all team-members is deeply felt.
- Conscious Leadership modeled by Conscious Leaders.
“Conscious Business is a business that fosters peace and happiness in the individual, respect and solidarity in the community, and mission accomplishment in the organization.” ~ Fred Kofman, Conscious Business
“A philosophy based on the belief that a more complex form of capitalism is emerging that holds the potential for enhancing corporate performance while simultaneously continuing to advance the quality of life for billions of people.” ~ Conscious Capitalism Inc.
A new business model for the 21 century business paradigm.
A way of looking at the deeper purpose of a business and balancing the needs of all stakeholders that will result in sustainable, long-term profits versus short-term gains.
“The emerging integration between Conscious Awareness and Capitalism. ” ~ Jeff Klein, Working for Good
A culture that invites employees to show up fully as whom they are and do their magic. A culture that encourages them to use their own gifts and talents to serve, to create, to collaborate and to lead. A culture that welcomes employee’s initiatives and doesn’t expect them to play by old and outdated rules.
A culture where the needs of all the stakeholders in the workplace are valued and where love and caring, forgiveness and appreciation is allowed to flourish.
“Conscious Culture is the soil or solution that runs through an organizational system that creates its unique identity, unique flavor and then fuels it. It is imbued with the higher purpose, and the values and the recognition of the interdependence of all team-members.” ~ Jeff Klein, Working for Good
Stakeholders are everyone and anyone who has an interest in an outcome of a business such as employees (team-members), customers, suppliers (vendors), investors (owners), communities and the environment.
Today’s complex challenges and technological, social and planetary changes are driving creativity and innovation. As we move into the 21st century, we are experiencing an evolutionary shift on this planet, making business as usual yesterday’s news. The collective value system of our humanity is evolving and moving towards relationship building, collaboration, inter-connectedness, and the co-creation of win-win solutions for all stakeholders. We have the opportunity and obligation to make transformational changes in the way we distribute our wealth and resources, creating a sustainable way of working and living. We are intent on being at the forefront of this revolutionary evolution in our business and personal lives, and maintain that the time for change and awakening is NOW.